Possible SolutionsIn Pavement School Crossing Sign

Local residents have several options to resolve traffic issues in their neighborhoods.  The most effective solutions are traffic calming measures; however, residents may also request Police enforcement in their neighborhood.  Less effective for controlling speeders, but requested by many residents to address other traffic issues, are crosswalks and stop signs.


Request Traffic Calming

Contact the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program Coordinators to request an application for Traffic Calming in your neighborhood or download the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program Request Form.


Police Enforcement

Intensified enforcement of traffic regulations can calm traffic, generally by reminding drivers of posted speed limits and by enforcing the observance of STOP signs. Call the non-emergency number for the Stockton Police Department at 209-937-8377 to request targeted enforcement.


Request for STOP or other Traffic Signs and Devices

Stop signs are not traffic calming measures and State and Federal guidelines preclude their use to "slow" vehicles.  The function of a Stop sign is to assign right-of-way at intersections, and they are typically installed after a study to determine if warrants, criteria established by the Federal Highway Administration and Cal-Trans, are met. 


To request a stop sign or other traffic signs and devices, contact the Public Works Department.  To request a stop sign or other traffic signs and devices, please click on Ask Stockton and select the appropriate topic.


Ask Stockton Photo


Requests for Crosswalks

Requests for Crosswalks must meet the guidelines as stated in the Pedestrian Safety and Crosswalk Installation Guidelines.  Contact the Public Works Department for more information.



External Links

There are currently no external links for this webpage.


This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 2/23/2021