The Stockton Police Department Investigations Division, Family Crimes Unit, investigates missing person reports. A Missing Person Report should be filed as soon as you are concerned about the missing person's absence.
Reporting a Missing Person
- Emergency - Dial 9-1-1
- Non-Emergency - Dial (209) 937-8377
Missing persons are reported through the state via California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS) by the Stockton Police Department. The report remains in the system until cancelled. The Police Department also participates in the State of California's AMBER Alert System used for child abduction cases.
If the missing person returns home, or if you learn of their whereabouts and they are no longer missing, please call the Police Department and cancel your report.
Parents of Missing Children
As parents, you are the best source for finding your missing child. Having a list with the names of your child's friends, classmates, and the location your child likes to go can be very helpful to law enforcement.
Actions Parents Should Take
- Check with your child's friends, school, neighbors, relatives, or anyone else who may know of your child's whereabouts. Ask them to notify you if they hear from the child.
- Report the runaway to the local police.
- Provide the police with a recent photo of your child.
- Make fingerprints and dental records available to the police.
- Make DNA samples available to the police.
- Call or check several local spots that your child may frequent
- Check with area hospitals and treatment centers.
- If your child is employed, call the employer or co-workers.
- Call your local runaway hotline
- Check online World Wide Web sites on runaways.
- Contact the National Runaway Switchboard at 1-800-621-4000. Ask if your child has left a message, and leave a message for him or her.
- Have posters or fliers made of your child include:
- Date of birth
- Hair color
- Eye color
- Other physical characteristics, such as glasses, braces, tattoos, scars, birthmarks, etc.
- Description of clothing
- Circumstances of disappearance, including place where last seen
- Contact information for you and the Stockton Police Department
A fill-in Missing Persons flyer is available on the City of Stockton web site.
Missing Persons Organizations:
Amber Center for Missing & Exploited Children - 1-800-541-0777 - www.AmberCenter.org
California Youth Crisis Line - (800)843-5200 - www.icfs.org/bluebook/bb000297.htm
The Stockton Safe House (Center for Positive Preventive Alternatives) - (209) 929-6700
Child Quest International - (888)818-4673 - http://www.childquest.org
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - 1-800-843-5678 - www.missingkids.com
National Runaway Switchboard - 1-800-621-4000
Polly Klaas Foundation - 1-800-587-4357 - www.klaaskids.org
Vanished Children Alliance - (800)-VANISHED or 1-800-826-4743 www.vca.org
Watch Dog Missing Children Hotline - (888)-KID-SEARCH or 1-888-543-7327
This City of Stockton webpage last reviewed on --- 3/21/2011