City logo and web banner

Engineering Permits


Encroachment Permits

Encroachment shall mean going over, upon or under or using any public right-of-way or natural water course in any manner other than its intended use.


Encroachment Permit Required 

Any work performed in the public right-of-way requires an encroachment permit. For example: installation or repair of sidewalk, curb and/or gutter, driveway approach, installation of sidewalk underdrain, installation of sewer lateral, and any construction or staging requiring traffic or pedestrian control.


To Obtain an Encroachment Permit

  • Complete and submit Encroachment Permit Application
  • Provide proper Insurance Documents
  • Provide site specific Traffic/Pedestrian Control Plans
  • Ensure all contractors and sub-contractors have City Business License
  • Pay Encroachment Permit fees and security deposit

  • Submit the required documents to the City of Stockton Permit Center


Transportation Permits

Transportation permits are required when transporting large vehicles through the City.  Examples of uses requiring a transportation permit include:

  • Over-sized vehicles
  • Moving modular homes or structures
  • Moving construction equipment; and
  • Any other transportation that exceeds the city's standards.


The cost of the permits can be found in the Fee Schedule.  If the hauler is making two or more trips with the same vehicle to the same location, the moves can be combined on a single permit.  The permit fee must reflect multiple trips.  For example, two trips will double the permit fee.  Annual permits are also available.


Currently, permit applications are accepted over the counter or via a fax back system.  To print a copy of the application, please click here



External Links

There are currently no external links.

This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 2/2/2012