Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Building Division

What is an Assessor Parcel Number and how do I determine mine?

Use this interactive map tool or contact the Planning and Engineering Division.  An Assessor Parcel Number is a unique parcel identification number assigned by San Joaquin County.  The first three numbers indicate the Assessor map book number; the next three numbers indicate page and block number, where appropriate; and the last two numbers designate the parcel number within the page (or block).



Assessor Book Page Parcel


Permit costs/fees

Our building permit fee estimator may be used to estimate fees due.  Please contact the Building Division  for more information.

Permit submittal requirements

Review page 2 of the building permit application for submittal requirements.  For more information, please contact the Building Division.

What is the turnaround time for the approval of a building permit?

Please review "Projected Cycle Times for Building Plan Review."


Who can apply for a permit?

A property owner or an appropriately-licensed contractor/architect/engineer may apply for a building permit. Property owners must complete the owner-builder form.

Who is my water service provider?

For additional information about service providers for your address, please visit the About Your Address web page.


Inspection scheduling/process/status

Please call our 24-hour automated Building Inspection Voice Permits IVR (Interactive Voice Response System) to request inspections.  When work is ready for inspection, the contractor, or person responsible for the specific work, should call the 24-hour request line.

The caller may request inspections for the next working day prior to 4 p.m.  Calls made after 4 p.m. that day will be scheduled for the second working day following. If you would like to be contacted by the inspector prior to the inspection, please leave a detailed message and a contact telephone number for your inspector.  For more information, please contact the Building Division.


Where can I file a complaint about suspected code violations?

The Neighborhood Services Division of the Police Department investigates all complaints.  To file a complaint by telephone, please call Neighborhood Services Division/Code Enforcement. To submit a question, comment, or complaint directly, select the appropriate topic to Ask Stockton


Do I need a business license?

Generally, anyone conducting business in the City is required to obtain a business license. Please contact the Business License Division for more information.


How do I change my address?

A property owner may request a change of address by submitting the request in writing, along with the required processing fee.  For more information, please contact the Building Division.


Permit Center Business Hours

See Current Hours.

Office address and contact information

Please see the Contact Us page for current hours and telephone numbers.


External Links

There are currently no external links.

This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 5/27/2014