Debt and Investments
The Debt and Investments and Cash Management unit of the Administrative Services Department is responsible for three principal functions related to the City's financial management. Debt management works directly with the City departments in the issuance of new City debt, from coordination of the bond issuance process, oversight of credit rating agency and investor relations to recommending investment strategies for debt proceeds and maintaining required financial disclosure reports. Investment management includes investment strategy development, trade execution, credit review and compliance activities. Cash management oversees cash flow/liquidity forecasting, revenue projections, the City's relationships with the various financial services providers and develops /implements citywide banking policies and services.
Internally, management of debt and investments are dependent upon the cash management for deposit and receipting information upon which investment and cash flow determinations are made; debt is paid; and financial information is reported as required by the federal, state and City laws and regulations.
Overview of Functional Responsibilities
- Departmental needs assessment - liquidity forecasting.
- Capital improvement project needs coordination.
- Set City financial, investment and debt policies.
Primary Functions - Debt
- Advise / recommend debt management practices.
- Capital project debt financing issuance coordination.
- Credit rating agency and bond insurer relations.
- City bondholder / investor relations.
- Tax-Exempt Lease Financing Program.
- Tax Revenue Anticipation Note (TRAN) issuance oversight.
- Investment of bond proceeds.
- Continuing bond / financial disclosure.
Primary Functions - Investments
- Manage investment advisory management contract.
- City portfolio investment analysis.
- Oversight for Investment Review Committee.
- Prepare quarterly report to City Council on investment activity.
Primary Functions - Cash Management
- Cash flow/liquidity forecasting (1 to 5 year outlook) oversee access authority to City operating account banking options via banking web portal.
- Oversight of banking systems and banking relationships.
- Oversight of credit card acceptance / convenience fee policies.
- Oversight of electronic commerce / check processing / returned items.
- Oversight of revenue deposit risk.
- Analysis of banking statement for proper use of banking functions and efficiencies in operations.
There are currently no external links.
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 8/29/2012