One of the Strategic Initiatives adopted by the Stockton City Council to reduce crime and increase public safety is the Marshall Plan. The Stockton City Council held a Special Meeting and Study Session to discuss the development of the plan on January 31, 2012. The Marshall Plan Committee met throughout 2012 and held a symposium for community leaders on February 8, 2013.
After a series of Town Hall meetings with the community throughout May and June, a proposed funding plan for the Marshall Plan was presented to the City Council during the regularly scheduled Council Meeting on Tuesday, June 25, 2013, Agenda Item 15.02. The Council approved the scheduling of a Public Hearing to fund the Marshall Plan and bankruptcy recovery. Proposed ballot language to place a 3/4 cent sales tax increase for a November 5, 2013 election, which was presented at the July 9, 2013 regularly scheduled City Council Meeting.
The Marshall Plan Project Report on Public Safety was presented at the April 2, 2013, City Council Meeting. The Council has directed City staff to:
- Facilitate community meetings to discuss the Report recommendations and solicit citizen input,
- Properly budget in Fiscal Year 2013-14 for the continuation of Ceasefire and the Marshall Plan Committee discussions, and
- After receiving community input, the City Manager is to return to Council with final recommendations and a financing plan for implementation that is in coordination with the City's bankruptcy negotiations.
- Marshall Plan Project Report - City Council Agenda Item 15.01 (124 page PDF file)
Marshall Plan Symposium
On February 8, 2013, a Symposium was held to provide a report of the work of the Marshall Plan Committee and introduce recommendations made. A written report will be presented to the City Council at the end of February. Links to information presented are provided below:
- Marshall Plan Overview (34 page PDF)
- California Partnership for Safe Communities (24 page PDF)
- Stockton Police Department, Chief Eric Jones (16 page PDF)
- Marshall Plan Recommendations (50 pages PDF)
- Stockton Violence Reduction Plan Recommendations Handout (1 page PDF)
- Stockton Violence Reduction Plan New Initiatives Handout (1 page PDF)
Marshall Plan Initiative
- Marshall Plan Stakeholder Committee Convened
- Marshall Plan Strategic Initiative Work Plan (Item 6.01, Special City Council Meeting of May 17, 2011)
- Marshall Plan OpEd, The Record, January 8, 2012
- Special City Council Meeting Agenda, January 31, 2012 - Agenda Item 3.02, Marshall Plan Project on Public Safety
- Marshall Plan Committee List (as-of January 31, 2012)
- Criminal Justice System Summary (flow chart illustration)
- City Council Meeting Agenda, February 7, 2012 - Agenda Item 15.01, Contract for Consultant Services to Support the Marshall Plan Project on Public Safety
- Marshall Plan on Public Safety Update and "Project Ceasefire" - News Release, September 24, 2012
There are currently no external links.
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 12/5/2013